If you use a Firewall on your Mac and you really know what you're doing when it comes to configuring one, WaterRoof may well appeal.
WaterRoof is a firewall management front-end application that allows you to carry out bandwidth tuning, NAT setup, port redirection, dynamic rules tracking, live connections blocks, predefined rule sets and much more. Its designed to integrate with most firewalls quickly providing you with an easy way to configure and manage it. If you share your internet connection with someone, WaterRoof also allows you to fine-tune it.
However, although it does make administration more user friendly, you'll still need to know what you're doing with it. And you may also suffer various bugs such as failure to save rule changes sometimes and the occasional crash. There are also issues when handling bandwidth throttling on 64 bit Macs in Snow Leopard. The developers are aware that it causes whats known as a "kernel panic" but hopefully it will be resolved by the next update.
WaterRoof is a tool for making firewall management a little easier but you'll still need to be an experienced user to understand it.
- Many including:
- Uses Mac OS X built-in IPFW firewall. No kernel modules, no extensions, no pain.
- WaterRoof is free and open-source.
- The most advanced Mac OS X free graphic frontend for ipfw now features a new, clean interface. WaterRoof lets you create, modify, delete, move ipfw ipv4 and ipv6 rules very quickly.
- Build ipfw rules easily with the new simplified interface and the IPFW Rules Translator. Building ipfw rules now is easier than ever.
- Backup and deploy firewall rules with WaterRoof Injectors.